When a loved one needs additional care, one of the first things we tend to do is ask friends and family what they think about the skilled nursing services in the area. While this can often be a big help, it can also leave room for some misinformation, myths and preconceived notions. This is not only bad for you, as the family member considering skilled nursing care, but for your loved one who truly needs it.
“At Greenwood House, we are used to hearing some of these myths from those who tour our communities,” says Beth Brobst, RN, BSN, Homecare Director of Nursing at Greenwood House, a not-for-profit, mission-based senior living community located in Ewing, New Jersey. “Many of the myths that we commonly hear are old-fashioned, based on negative personal experiences at other communities or flat out not true. We are working very hard to dispel these myths so that caregivers, family members and those who need care can rest assured their needs will be met in a community that is not only suited to their needs, but also far above what they had expected.”
Dispelling the Myths about Skilled Nursing
Because many of the myths about skilled nursing care are founded on misinformation and false stereotypes, it’s important to set the record straight. Here are some of the top myths we commonly hear:
- They won't be able to offer all the care my loved one needs in a warm environment. When many people think of skilled nursing, it’s true that they often picture hospital-like settings that are bright white with long hallways and medical teams everywhere. However, at Greenwood House, we regard our residents as family. We can offer comprehensive medical, nursing and nutritional care, assistance with daily activities and so much more in an environment that’s welcoming, comfortable and homelike.
- My loved one will be isolated. This couldn’t be further from the truth at Greenwood House. Our residents enjoy a wellness-focused lifestyle and that includes social wellness. We want our residents to stay active, socialize and enjoy each day, so we have an activities team that plans an array of programming and activities to create an enriching lifestyle.
- Their meals will be boring and not what they love. At Greenwood House, dining is an important part of everyday life. We can tailor meals to meet your loved one’s tastes and preferences, and this also includes Kosher dining.
- The team won’t be able to get to know my loved one personally. Residents are cared for by a team of professionals who get to know their goals and desires, their needs and more. Whether they are meeting with our medical director, licensed nurses and aides, therapists or social workers, we are here to provide everything they need.
- Family will not have the support they need. Because your family is our family, you are, too. We provide counseling and support in order to create a partnership with families because working as a team always provides the best care.
To learn more about Greenwood House and our homecare services, including how we can benefit your family, give us a call today at (609) 358-0425.
You’ll Love the Way We Care
Offering an array of services including skilled nursing, assisted living, rehabilitation, homecare and hospice care, Greenwood House offers care with a higher purpose. As a not-for-profit, mission-based community, we hold ourselves to a higher standard.
When we opened our doors in 1939, we made a promise to care for seniors, and as their needs evolve and change, so do ours. We take pride in meeting various needs and desires, and providing a lifestyle that enriches lives, increases peace of mind and ensures care for today and tomorrow.
For more information or to schedule a tour, contact our team today at (609) 358-0425.